Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Start Of Wood Shed Designs

Something like this has always been a dream of mine. Now that the dream has started, hopefully no one will wake me up from it. I guess it started when I was younger always interested in woodworking. I remember watching Norm Abram when I was little on Sundays. I think I was trying to use his woodworking show to fall asleep with, but always found myself watching the craftmanship instead. Other projects that stimulated my interest was a scout project I did with my dad. Dad always wore boots when farming, so what a better thing to make than a boot jack for dad. I remember one time I wanted a hockey stick. So I made one out of plywood. The first version was something screwed onto the end of moms yard stick, not a good idea. The next one I made with the plywood i even took the time to figure out what the angle of the blade was supposed to be with the stick. Thankfully I moved on to better things as I got older. In my teens I was able to help build a couple of Murphy beds for my moms new addition to the house. Ah the times of having a adventurous mind and patient parents.



The first project that really got everything off the ground started sometime in the fall of 2007. From there we have done more projects, and currently have several projects in the works. Wood Shed Designs is unfortunately not big enough currently to keep myself employed full time. All the projects built are done in my spare time. Thankfully as a millworker at a cabinet shop i do have all the sophisticated expensive tools available to me. If it were not for this, I do not know if Wood Shed Designs would have ever come to be. More will be said of Wood Shed Designs as more occurs. Hopefully it will continue to as exciting as it has been so far.

I do have to thank my father in-law by helping me establish this. He took a brave step forward and asked me to build a mantle for his showroom. I need to thank my mom for planting this seed in me. Helping my mom build Murphy Bed's was the best project I could have done with her. I need to thank my loving wife for pushing me forward and helping me continue this dream. It is nice to have a women's perspective in woodworking. Us guys sometimes don't know what looks good.

Erick Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment